7 Easy Ways to Stay Calm Under Pressure
Knowing how to stay calm under pressure is important. In an ever-changing world where stress is a constant companion, those who can maintain their composure in the face of difficulties are admired for it. You may have seen this trait demonstrated by someone you know and wondered: ‘How do they stay so cool under pressure?’.
While everyone has a different threshold for dealing with stress, you can greatly enhance your ability to stay relaxed in all situations.
With practice, there’s no reason why anyone couldn’t learn to stand strong amidst life’s storms – just as serenely as if basking on a beach.
Control your reaction to stress with these strategies:
1. Maintain a positive perspective.
In most cases, nothing bad is going to happen that you can’t handle. There’s always another job interview, another person to date, and another opportunity on its way.
2. Create an alter ego.
Imagine the ideal version of yourself. This person would probably be brave, tough, and unflappable, among many other possible traits.
- When faced with a stressful situation, imagine how your ideal self would handle that situation and just do it.
- In time, you’ll become more and more like that ideal version of yourself.
3. Respond slowly.
Cool and collected people respond slowly. They move slowly. Take a breath or three and respond to the person or situation confidently. Taking the time to respond is calming.
4. Build your self-confidence.
The more confidence you have in yourself, the less stressed you’ll feel.
- Self-confidence is very situational. You might be highly self-confident while hitting a golf ball, but much less confident while giving a speech.
- When working on building your self-confidence, focus on those situations that need the most improvement.
Smiling makes you feel better and more confident. It can also put others at ease. If you can smile genuinely in the face of a challenging situation, you can do just about anything.
6. Practice having a present-moment mindset.
This helps to prevent your mind from imagining negative potential outcomes. All it takes is to keep your attention on your environment.
- This is harder than it sounds. Imagine trying to put your house key into your front door while a giant rottweiler barrels toward you. It’s not easy to keep your eyes on the keyhole. Your mind and attention like to wander.
7. Relax your body and breathe deeply.
Relaxing your muscles and breathing deeply helps to short-circuit any stress response in your body.
- This is a skill that requires practice. First, you have to remember to do it. Second, it takes a moment to focus your mind on your breathing and muscles. So, you’ll need to leave the current situation behind for a moment while you do these exercises.
While it’s easy to be familiar with creative solutions for managing stress, true mastery comes from putting them into practice. Make a commitment to incorporating these ideas on a daily basis and you will witness your ability to manage pressure blossom over time.
Before long, people around you may start asking what your secret is – the answer? A consistent application of strategies proven successful in handling even the most stressful situations.
But you know what? Music can make you feel more optimistic and positive about life.
Whether you’re feeling down or just looking for a new and exciting way to enjoy your free time, music is an effective solution for relaxation and stress management.
If you’re looking for an activity or new hobby to help create more calm, we’d love to help. Contact us today to learn more and get a free first class at Confident Voice Studio.