Is there an “art of giving”? I believe there is. Much like how a painter creates unique masterpieces and writers craft heartfelt words, gifting is an opportunity to express care for those around us- it’s one way we show our hearts.
Teaching your child how to give to others can increase their self-esteem and help them look out for others that are less fortunate. It also teaches them that the world doesn’t revolve around them, something all children can learn.
Teaching kids to give also encourages saying no to selfishness and prepares them to be more inclusive towards others.
Try these strategies that may prove useful:
1. Lead by example.
2. Encourage generosity by showing them that their help benefits others.
3. Teach your children to give of their time and energy
4. Give them lessons on sharing.
5. Share how you feel when you give.
6. Consider donor-advised funds.
7. Look for opportunities to give.
8. Start small.
9. Be clear.
10. Teach your children positive values.